There are a limited number of seats available for students who are registering cross-boundary to attend schools in Wolf Creek Public Schools. Each school in Ponoka has a limited number of seats available, which will be filled through a collaborative intake process. This process allows us to work as a committee to determine if a student is eligible to attend WCPS, and to determine how we can best support the transition and appropriate placement.
Factors that impact acceptance are:
Available space, classroom make up, programming options, and staffing.
- Returning students will be given priority; however, they must be registered by June 15th.
- A review of student acceptance for returning students will only be reviewed if there are concerns in any of the following areas: safety issues at the school, chronic attendance issues, lack of parental/guardian support and partnership, on-going discipline issues, and unpaid school fees.
- School fees must be paid before the start of each school year for non-resident students. If fee payment is a barrier, the family must meet with Administration to make alternate arrangements regarding fee payment.
- Must complete a registration package, which is available at the bottom of this page or at the school. These packages can be picked up from April–June.
- Once the applications are submitted, there will be a committee, consisting of representation from all three schools and WCPS District Office, who will review the applications. After the committee makes their decision, parents will be notified.
- The Application Review Process will include gathering information on the following:
- The committee contacting the student’s previous school regarding academic and school history.
- Required additional learning supports.
- Safety: gang involvement, violence, drugs, or drug dealing.
- Academic success is not a determining factor in the application process. Indicators such as effort, attendance, ethical behavior, and attitude are all taken into consideration.
- After the committee has completed the selection process, parents and students will be notified.
- Notification will indicate acceptance, and outline any conditions, such as, attendance, fees, parent involvement etc.
- Students who are accepted will be required to complete a reading screen and an intake interview. This will allow us to best support the student as they transition into WCPS.
- WCPS is NOT responsible for transporting cross-boundary students. The families must make those arrangements with Hobbema Transport.
If you have any questions, please contact the Administration at the school where your child is interested in attending.