As a publicly funded school jurisdiction, the Division has a provincial mandate to offer programs to its resident students. Based on the requirements of the School Act, the Division will admit non-resident students who apply, if there are sufficient resources and facilities available to accommodate them.
Factors that impact acceptance are:
- Available space,
- classroom make up,
- programming options, and
- Returning students will be given priority.
- A review of student acceptance for returning students will only be reviewed if there are concerns in any of the following areas: safety issues at the school, chronic attendance issues, lack of parental/guardian support and partnership, on-going discipline issues, and unpaid school fees.
- School fees must be paid before the start of each school year for non-resident students. If fee payment is a barrier, the family must meet with Administration to make alternate arrangements regarding fee payment.
- Demographic information must be updated yearly in parent portal.
- Must complete the online registration process.
- Once the applications are submitted, there will be a committee, consisting of representation from all three schools and WCPS District Office, who will review the applications. After the committee makes their decision, parents will be notified.
- The Application Review Process will include gathering information on the following:
- The committee contacting the student’s previous school regarding academic and school history.
- Required additional learning supports.
- Academic success is not a determining factor in the application process. Indicators such as effort, attendance, ethical behavior, and attitude are all taken into consideration.
- Application Process:
- Please visit the website of the school where you child is interested in attending to complete the online school registration. All form and supporting documents must be completed and submitted to the school to begin the intake process.
- a copy of birth certificate and status card is required.
If you have any questions, please contact the Administration at the school where your child is interested in attending.
- After the committee has completed the selection process, parents and students will be notified.
- Notification will indicate acceptance and outline any conditions, such as attendance, fees, parent involvement etc.
- WCPS is NOT responsible for transporting non-resident cross-boundary students. The families must make those arrangements with Maskwacîs Education Schools Commission (MESC).
** Please note that the last day of registration for the 2023-2024 school year for NEW non-resident students at Ponoka Elementary School AND Ponoka Secondary Campus is August 23, 2023. The BRICK Learning Centre MAY accept new non-resident students from Maskwacis up until September 30th of the current school year.